Acute vomiting and/or diarrhea illness means 1-2 days lasting normal sickness, for which there can be many reasons. Treatment can be done at home with prescription-free medication from the pharmacy or animal clinic.
Dont give your dog normal food, but give easily digestable food in very small doses. You can for example use this home recipe:
- Cook rice in saltwater (1 teaspoon salt in a pot of water), take the rice away after and offer the broth at hand temperature in small amounts for the length of the day. The broth can also be flavored as needed with meat stock.
- You can start to offer rice and mix a small amount of dog food, you can increase the amount of dog food offered as time goes on so that the dog’s stomach begins to digest the food. However the first few days are important to be given only as liquid.
Make sure that your dog drinks enough. Drinking water can be mixed with electrolytes (Osmosal, Biolyt, etc) or you can give electrolytes (Canicur, Diarsanyl, Promax etc) straight to the mouth together with water. If the dog does not drink freely, you can try to give water from a syringe to the mouth.
Diarrhea medications (From the pharmacy without a prescription) contain electrolytes, binding agents and probiotics (milk acid bacterias). They are also suitable for patients who vomit.
A dogs well being should be closely monitored, even if it is a young puppy in question or a dog which has an illness for example: diabetes, kidney or liver disease. If the dogs well being worsens or the below symptoms are evident, you should immediately seek veterinary care.
- extreme Fatigue
- dog is not able to stand up
- high fever
- blood in diarrhea or vomit
- no longer drinking
- continuous vomiting, nothing stays down
NOTE! If the problem continues at home over 2-3 days it is good to book an appointment at the vet to check your dog.